A creative and skilled problem solver, Jessica Levy is a civil litigator at Hirsch & Westheimer.
Jessica has experience at all stages of litigation, through and including jury and bench trial, in the state and federal courts of Texas and New York. She has represented individuals, class action plaintiffs, small and large businesses in matters ranging from breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, DTPA actions, residential and commercial construction defects, RCLA claims, mechanics and materialman’s liens, misappropriation of trade secrets and evictions.
Jessica graduated from the University of Texas School of Law in 2011, where she served as a representative on the Student Bar Association, Jones Hall Renovation Committee and participated in the Criminal Defense Clinic. While at UT Law, Jessica clerked with the government at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Texas and represented clients at the Travis County Juvenile Public Defender’s Office.
She received her undergraduate degree from the George Washington University, in Washington, DC, graduating early in 2007. In college, Jessica worked at the Department of Justice, Environmental Torts Litigation division, and as an intern for Judge Darrell Gavrin, in the New York Supreme Criminal Court in Queens, New York.
Jessica has chaired of the Houston Urban Debate League’s annual silent auction for four consecutive years, winning the 2015 American Bar Association Young Lawyer Division Single Project/Service to the Public Award. Jessica has co-chaired the silent auction since 2015 helping to raise over $10,000 for the Houston Urban League’s Summer Debate Institute college scholarships. Jessica is also a member of the Houston Urban Debate League’s Young Professionals Council and the Houston Bar Association John J. Eikenburg Fun Run committee.
Jessica is a member of the Houston Bar Association and the Houston Young Lawyers Association. In her spare time, she competes in road races, and proudly completed her sixth half marathon in January of 2018.
- Succeeded in maintaining jurisdiction in Texas after non-resident defendant filed special appearance;
- Prevailed on two 91a motions to dismiss baseless claims;
- Successfully defended an employer in a breach of contract action through bench trial, resulting in a denial of liability and a take nothing judgment;
- Successfully struck a fraud claim filed against defendant 12 days before trial, precluding from reconvening of punitive damages;
- Succeeded in striking a liquidated damages provision from a contract at summary judgment, resulting in dismissal with prejudice of all claims;
- Succeeded in obtaining possession of home for owner from holdover tenant;
- Successfully defended builder in arbitration initiated by homeowner alleging defective construction and repair based on limitations and homeowner’s failure to prove breach of any express or implied warranty or causation;
- Successfully settled dispute between business partners which had escalated to litigation which threatened dissolution of the company;
- Drafted and argued in support of jury instructions in Texas state court on claims of breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secret, and multiple damages claims, resulting in a favorable finding of liability on a breach of fiduciary duty claim;
- Successfully mediated multiple cases, resulting in clients receiving satisfaction on claims without the expense of trial;
- Obtained favorable partial judgment on a motion to dismiss claims based on Texas law in the Southern District of Texas, based on the Outer Continental Shelves Land Act’s requirement that the law of the adjacent state, Louisiana, applied.
- Houston Urban Debate League Young Professionals Council – Annual Silent Auction Co-Chair
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association