Kristina Cunningham is an accomplished trial lawyer.
Kristina has a wide range of experience in financial services and banking, bankruptcy, insurance defense, creditor rights, securities-related litigation, and regulatory matters, including all stages of trial, appeals, and arbitration, in a wide range of issues including trade secret act violations, fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and securities claims. She has also worked on employment related matters, including disputes over non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, garden leave provisions, unfair competition, raiding, and constructive discharge. Kristina also routinely handles garnishments, interpleaders, third party subpoena requests, and consular matters.
Prior to transitioning to civil litigation, Kristina began her legal career in criminal defense with the San Diego County Office of the Public Defender as an intern, and then locally with criminal defense firms as a “first-chair” trial lawyer, securing acquittals for the majority of her clients.
Kristina is a native Houstonian and received her undergraduate degree, cum laude, from the University of St. Thomas in 2003. She attained her J.D. at the University of Houston Law Center in 2006 where she served on the Advocates Executive Board, The Journal of Texas Consumer Law, and membered in Lex Judaica and Phi Alpha Delta. She was also a James Hippard Sr. Novice Mock Trial Competition Finalist.
During her time at both schools, she worked with the Texas Innocence Network on a wide range of appellate and habeas cases, including the exoneration of Anthony Graves. She also represented clients in the Children’s Defense Clinic and Civil Litigation Clinic at UHLC.
Kristina is a member of the State Bar of Texas, and is licensed in the United States District Courts for the Southern, Northern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas. In her spare time, Kristina enthusiastically leads a Pittsburgh Penguins fan group, enjoys live music, is a foodie focused on finding new techniques in cooking and loves spending time with her family.
- Successfully mediated multiple cases, resulting in clients receiving satisfaction on claims without the expense of trial
- Successfully represented brokerage firm in prosecuting claim for employee raiding, unfair competition, and tortious interference
- Represented a former employee and his new employer in defending a breach of contract, theft of trade secrets, and tortious interference claims brought by former employer
- Defended a brokerage firm in FINRA arbitration filed by former employee seeking trailing commissions
- Successfully settled dispute between financial firm and trustee over mismanagement of trust account
- Successfully prosecuted multiple breach of promissory note claims against financial advisors